- Jazz Band: Minimum standard instrumentation recommended is 5 saxophones, 4 trombones, 4 trumpets, and 4 rhythm with no fewer than 10, nor more that 24, on stage at one time.
- Jazz Combo: No fewer than 2 or more than 9, plus two vocalists.
- Dixieland Combo: Suggested instrumentation is trumpet/cornet, trombone, clarinet, sax, and rhythm.
Presentation & Performance
- All groups should present a program of three contrasting selections with the opportunity for solo work.
- Scores and/or lead sheets of each selection to be performed (with numbered measures) are required.
- Jazz repertoire is encouraged, pop music is inappropriate.
- In combo classes, it is highly recommended that each member improvise.
- It is recommended that performance time not exceed 20 minutes in order to maximize the ensemble’s time with the clinicians.
Time taken for onstage tuning will be considered performance time and thus deducted from the overall length of the clinic.